Why Strategy and Design Are BFFs in the World of Marketing
Imagine a world…
…in which an account manager sits down, holds a brilliantly inspired brainstorm, develops a plan that’s spot-on to achieve a client’s goals, writes an awesome headline… and then assigns the headline to a low-resolution photo from the “free to use” section of Google images.
Or how about this world… a graphic designer sits down at her or his computer and creates a visually stunning piece with the potential to move a viewer to tears, but isn’t quite sure how the image is going to be used… so the team tacks on a headline that somehow ties it into an aspect of that client’s product or service.
Are we the only ones cringing over here?
Strategy and design need one another to be successful.
Take it from us. We’re Ashlee Akers, VP/Client Services, and Megan Condict, Art Director at Verdin. We’re best friends – not only because we’re actually friends, but because our roles need to be BFFs for our work to achieve the right results.
One of our lifelong goals is to educate people on the strategy behind creative services in an agency like ours. Being a graphic designer does not mean having free reign to “make art” to our heart’s content. We do create beauty – but it’s beautiful because it’s purposeful. Every shape, every stroke, every shade of every color fits into the larger strategy. It tells a story; it’s geared toward a specified audience; it has a goal.
Success is reached when strategy and design are woven together from start to finish. Our strategy/design friendship is built from a five-step process.
1. We define roles. Best friends complement one another. Strategy and design are both crucially important, the yin and the yang, and need to work in harmony to reach a set goal.
2. We set goals. Our team works together to pull insights and research and create a thorough brief that summarizes relevant data and defines specific, client-approved goals.
3. We generate ideas. This is where the concepts are born. Once we know our goals and parameters, we put our strategy and design heads together to brainstorm ideas and formulate a clear direction.
4. We get to work. Once one concept is selected by our brainstorm process or by the client, the design team gets busy and checks in often with strategy to make sure we are on goal and on brand. Brand check, Goal check. Repeat.
5. We launch! We strive for nothing short of client happiness. Even after the ads are booked and creative is running, we use consistent monitoring and adjustments to be sure the goals are being met.
Collaboration makes the world go round at Verdin. Want to talk about design and strategy for your brand? Email us at [email protected] and [email protected]. We want to be friends with you, too.