If you are interested in pop culture, here is the latest trend. A new report from TiVO research is getting press regarding the rapid growth of binge television viewing. Spoiler alert: Americans love to binge watch TV! Here are just a few details on this growing development.
The report defined “binge watching” as viewing three or more episodes of the same series in one day or watching entire seasons of specific shows over multiple days. 92% of Americans admit to binge watching regularly.
Most viewers reported that they binge watch a series after missing its early seasons or episodes. Some binge when they fall behind during a season and 39% report complicated story lines (shout-out to Game of Thrones fans) are better understood with back-to-back viewing.
75% of binge watching consists of programming saved on DVRs, while the remaining 25% comes from streaming video services like Netflix, Hulu or Amazon plus.
Will your binge cause the blues or help bonding?
While binge watching may not cause the blues, 52% of us report sadness when our favorite programming comes to an end. 37% of viewers say they sometimes spend an entire weekend binge viewing and look forward to it all week.
On a positive note, 31% of couples surveyed said they binge watch shows together, and it is an important way to share time with friends and loved ones.
It turns out not all binge viewing is alike. Dramas fare better than sitcoms and reality TV for binge viewers.
Cable programming and streaming platforms using new technology have a higher percentage of binge viewing than network television, likely due to the proliferation and improvement of on-demand formats.
It does indeed appear that binge viewing is on the rise, which is shaping up to be a great development for advertisers. Recent research by Omnicom Media Group found that 58% of binge watchers view at least three episodes of a show in one sitting, and that more than a third wouldn’t mind seeing ads while binge viewing if it lowered their subscription rate. These figures, along with data that shows over a third of binge viewers actually enjoy ads as a quick break during a viewing binge, suggest that advertisers would be wise to adapt their models to accommodate this emerging trend.