Verdin Marketing Blog: Keep These Seven Items Away From Your Pup

Keep These Seven Items Away From Your Pup

Tips for pet owners from PETS Hospital

“My dog ate my homework” may not be a valid excuse in the classroom, but dogs seem to have a knack for getting into the snacks they shouldn’t! Take Luna for example.

Luna is a one-year-old Alaskan Klee Kai who ransacked her mom’s purse, chowing down on a pack of sugar-free gum before she was caught in the act.

She soon started vomiting. Her dad is a dentist, so he knew that xylitol, the sweetener used in sugar-free gum, causes blood sugar drops and toxic reactions in canine livers. Luna’s owners rushed her to PETS Hospital, where she was administered IVs, dextrose, liver protectants and lots of TLC by their attentive staff. Because of the quick action, Luna was discharged 36 hours later, fully recovered.

Luna’s case was frightening, but thankfully, these scenarios are fully preventable. It’s important for pet owners to know which foods are toxic to their pets, and to stash these foods and items safely away.

We all know that the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is for dogs – but there are many lesser known foods and household items that can be lethal for pets. Consume these things with caution around your fur baby:

  • Sugar-Free Gum and Candy: As Luna’s story illustrates, xylitol is very toxic to dogs and requires immediate treatment.
  • Essential Oils: Tea tree oil is a popular essential oil as it aids in human detox. It has an adverse effect on pets, since it causes a liver enzyme overload and blood toxicity. Be mindful when choosing a new scent for your diffuser.
  • Dryer Sheets: Outside of the laundry room, this household staple is used to remove fur stuck to furniture and clothing. Rubbing these chemical-heavy sheets on surfaces that pets come into constant contact with is toxic for them (and for you too!).
  • Onions and Garlic: All forms of these ingredients–powdered, raw, or cooked–cause anemia in dogs. Signs of anemia include weakness, breathing troubles, and throwing up.
  • Dairy Products: Milk products cause diarrhea, digestive troubles, and allergy triggers and itchiness for dogs, just like they do for some humans.
  • Caffeine: Your morning coffee perks you up, but it ramps up blood pressure and heart rates in dogs, causing cardiac arrhythmias and seizures. If you drink your tea with honey, though, you can let your pup have a little lick of the golden liquid for a dose of vitamins.

PETS Hospital hopes the only time you and your furry loved one visit them is to say hi. Should your pup get into the paws-off cabinet, however, their urgent care services are available for pet owners 24/7. Learn more at petsurgentcare.com.

« PREV  |  NEXT »

Related Articles