Fundraising in the time of corona: SLO Food Bank gets creative with its Hunger Awareness Day campaign
by: Amy Blasco
Hunger is a big problem in San Luis Obispo County.
For 14 years, SLO Food Bank has been holding large-scale fundraisers for Hunger Awareness Day. Organization leaders were in the process of planning one for 2020 when the coronavirus changed everything.
Since the shelter-at-home order started in March, the community’s demand for food has tripled. And demand for no-cook food bags provided to people experiencing homelessness has jumped by 83 percent.
Faced with increased demand and the social distancing requirements created in response to the pandemic, SLO Food Bank leaders had to ask themselves an important question: How do you run a fundraiser that traditionally has a very public presence?
The answer: Get creative.
Hunger Awareness Day will look different this year, as the SLO Food Bank says in its most recent motion graphic ad designed by Verdin. But the mission to feed our neighbors in need is still the same. Here are all the ways people can help:
- This year, in addition to accepting donations online, masked SLO Food Bank staff and volunteers will collect monetary donations at the SESLOC in SLO on June 5 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and then at the SLO Food Bank from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. The drive-thrus, which will be frequently sanitized, are designed to raise awareness about hunger and offer our community a way to make life better for each other, right now.
- The SLO Food Bank is also calling on individuals and businesses to get in the hunger-hero spirit by starting their own donation page and sharing special donor graphics on social media inviting others to donate as well.
- Shoppers at grocery stores will be reminded about the need for nutritious food in San Luis Obispo County with a collection of specially designed floor stickers encouraging people to donate by texting “FEED805” to 707070. Donations can be made online or at one of the Hunger Awareness Day drive-thrus.
- Plus, keep your eyes peeled for a Hunger Awareness Day homepage takeover and matching fundraiser on www.KSBY.com and tours of SLO Food Bank and its partners live streamed on Instagram @slofoodbank as follows:
- 11-11:45 a.m. Tour of SLO Food Bank Warehouse
- 12:30-1 p.m. Tour of Atascadero Loaves and Fishes
- 2-2:05 p.m. Promotion of KSBY Hunger Awareness Day Matching Fundraiser
- 3-3:30 p.m. Tour of 40 Prado
- 5-5:30 p.m. Drive-Through Donation Site Highlight/National Corvette Restoration Society Cruise-Through (Time slot for this is still pending but will happen in the earlier part of the evening!)
- 6-6:30 p.m. Hunger Hero Spotlights
- And keep your ears open for Hunger Awareness Day radio ads on ESPN Radio, 1280 AM / 101.7 FM, which were generously donated by Mike Chellson at Pacific Coast Media.
Hunger is a big problem. But, thanks to the SLO Food Bank and donors like you, we have the tools to fight it. Become a Hunger Hero today!