5 Fab Tips for Your Social Media Makeover
by: Casey Page
Are your social media accounts feeling stale and out of date? Do you want to take your pages from drab to fab? Then now’s the time to give your online presence a makeover!
We all love a good makeover. It’s a popular montage in movies and it’s proven to be a successful TV show model. My current obsession is Queer Eye on Netflix, “can you believe?!”. I grew up watching the original Fab 5 and other fantastic makeover shows like What Not to Wear and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. It’s not just the end result that excites me—it’s also the process and the strategy.
To properly make over your social media accounts, you will need to develop and implement a strategy tailored to your needs and goals. So grab some popcorn and a cozy spot, and let’s strategize! To help jump-start your social media makeovers, follow these 5 fab tips!
Tip 1: Achieve that Perfect Profile Photo
- For your personal account, your face is your strongest asset. For your business, use your logo or icon.
- Make sure there is enough contrast in the image so all of the elements stand out, even at a small size.
- Make sure the visual elements are centered appropriately for the space given (visual elements shouldn’t be cut off).
Tip 2: Update that “About” Section
- Make sure every section in your About section is filled out completely, accurately and consistently across all platforms. This will take some time, but it’s worth the effort. You want to make sure everyone is getting the same picture of you and your company, no matter what platform they’re on.
- The first line of your description should succinctly let the viewer know who you are and tell a little about you..
- Your website, phone number and email should all be easily accessible. Make sure the webpage you use is chosen strategically. Which webpage do you want people visiting the most? What action do you want them to take on your website?
Tip 3: Establish Your Voice
- Pick three to four words that best describe your brand’s voice on social media and create your copy with that voice in mind. Are you funny, clever, welcoming, educational, or compassionate?
- Don’t be afraid to use a little emotion. Longer, diary-style posts are currently popular and are a great way to draw in readers.
- Include emojis in your copy! Posts containing emojis in captions receive 47 percent more interactions. [insert emoji]
Tip 4: Create Dynamic Content
- First, you need to understand who your followers are. What does your target audience want to hear from you? What type of information or storytelling do they want to get from your account? If you provide valuable content that pertains to their lives, they will be more likely to engage.
- Pick five to eight categories of content that tell your story. Be sure to keep those categories rotating fairly evenly so that your followers don’t become bored or overwhelmed with one type of content.
- Produce aesthetically pleasing and high-quality images that are consistent with your brand. Images should all follow a similar style so that your content is easily recognizable on your followers’ feeds.
Pro Tip 5: Don’t Neglect Your Story Highlights in Instagram!
- Instagram Highlights displays are located between your bio and gallery—prime real estate for people to click and learn more.
- This is a great space to dive into specific services or products that you offer.
- Share the behind-the-scenes look into who you are. What does your daily life or culture look like?